Congratulations to the students who earned promotions since our last newsletter. Third Degree Black Belt – Natalie Montone Second Degree Black Belt – Lee Gugler Junior Purple Belt #2 –Shayne Davies, Arshdeep Singh Junior Purple Belt #1 – Ashley Banks Junior Yellow Belt – Caelin McDonnell Senior Green Belt –Pamela Banks, Caroline Kulick (at the conclusion of out summer camp sessions.
Junior Green Belt #1 – Mikey Donica Junior Orange Belt – Jarod Gajada (during classes at the dojo)
WHY SHOULD I AND / OR MY CHILD ATTEND THE SUMMER TRAINING SESSIONS AND SEMINARS?
Highlights from Renshi Marotta, 4th Degree Black Belt: Quotes and Experiences from the 2012 Isshin-Ryu School of Karate Olympics Camp:
- Tony showing us how to go through the obstacle course…going under the cargo net feet first…
- Natalie walking around during lunch with a hot dog in one hand, and a jelly donut in the other…Taking bites of each…No comment was needed…
- “I’m a Star” being performed by the Black Belts and Kyu Ranks, while using glow sticks…
- Luke and Robert’s faces as everyone cheered them on during their tug-of-war matches…priceless…
- Scott Conroy after his river time with a youngster, “I served in the drill sergeant battalion for 10 years…That was nothing compared to what I just went through”
- Luke as we’re going through the obstacle course and going through the lawn roller handle (after I just did it), “Oh no! How am I going to fit through that!?!?!”
- Kristyn as we’re heading to the river. I’m partnered with her. Jeff yells go. We run. Kristyn runs into a parked car. Her excuse when Tracey says what the hell was that, “Joe made me run into a car!”
- Tony as we’re getting ready for the push-up portion of the Olympics, “Joe doesn’t do push-ups, he pushes the world down!”
- Ryan while discussing the durability of his Black Belt, “This belt just won’t break in. I think it’s made out of Chuck Norris’s hair”
- During the campfire question, what is your hope for the future, Me, “My hope is that my truck sounds like that some day” as the cars dragged at Island. Adam, “Really? My hope was that he’d run out of gas”
The 2012 Isshin-Ryu School of Karate Olympics Camp is just another example of why our school is successful. We were asked during the campfire, why do we keep coming back? This is why. Fun was had by all, and all walked away with memories and stories. The bonds and friendships continue to grow closer and stronger, every time we get together. Regardless of how tired a certain 3 of us were on Sunday, staying up the night and sharing some adult memories, while discussing life, laughing and telling stories is what it’s all about. All feel the same as I, this is a second family.
Tony Curcuruto, Sho Dan, “I had a fantastic time from start to finish – definitely will always be one of my most memorable camps!”
Caelin McDonnell, “Thank you for an amazing time at Karate camp! I had so much fun! Also, thank you for letting me sit in your ’73 Mach 1. That was AWESOME!!!! I am very appreciative for my yellow belt 🙂 I am looking forward to camping next year!!”
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hughes,
A huge thank you from us on what sounded like, and looked like (from all the pictures we’ve seen) a great experience. Caelin could not stop talking about camp, she made an amazing slide show of the pictures my husband took. We will bring her computer in tomorrow to show you, we couldn’t figure out how to e-mail it so that it launches!
She was all aglow when she was telling me about earning her yellow belt! We went out and bought a picture frame for the old white belt and moving up certificate! For a girl who doesn’t like sports very much she seems to really enjoy and take to karate, I believe a lot has to do with the “loving, nurturing” environment you and your wife and the other instructors create for the kids. I hope this desire of hers carries on for years to come, I’d love to see her with a black belt or close to it anyway! We (Caelin and I) “shopped” around to several different karate schools, and even though others were more gym like and “official” looking, there was an inner voice or gut feeling that said to go to Isshin- Ryu because “they seemed like nice people” and we are so glad we did!
So kudos to you and your wife for having the camp again this year, I hope you’re able to do it again next year! Thank you for all you do for the school and for the art of karate. Hopefully once I get my knee operated on and the acl back working properly I’ll join too!
Dawn and Jeff Mc Donnell
As is evident from the previous thoughts, our recent summer training sessions, overnight and Karate Olympics (August 18th & 19th) were a TREMENDOUS success. Being a part of seminars, tournaments, training sessions and additional events will only enhance a student’s enjoyment of our program and Isshin-ryu Karate. Each event suggested is one that Renshi Hughes, the black belts and I have investigated and approve. (Kyoshi)
UPCOMING EVENTS TO CONSIDER
SEPTEMBER 22ND – AMERICAN OKINAWAN TOURNAMENT – BAYONNE, NJ
OCTOBER 28TH – AMERICAN ISSHINRYU SEMINARS – DUNELLEN
JULY 11 to 13, 2012 – ISSHIN-RYU WORLD KARATE CHAMPIONSHIPS – OHIO
First free training sessions Friday, Sept. 7, Saturday, Oct. 13
COMING TO THE VIENNA METHODIST COMMUNITY CENTER IN SEPTEMBER –
Zumba® AND YOGA WITH Monica Villegas.
Monday – Zumba®– 6 PM to 7 PM
Tuesday – Zumba® – 9 AM to 10 Am
Yoga – 10:15 AM to 11:15 AM
Thursday – Zumba® – 9 AM to 10 Am
Yoga – 10:15 AM to 11:15 AM
Friday – Zumba® – 6 PM to 7 PM
Zumba® – $10.00 / Class
Yoga – $12 / Class
Both Classes – $8.00 / Class
Monthly Rates Available